Thursday, June 7, 2012

Getting ready for restart!!!

Well the engine and gearbox from the 74 roadster are have been installed in the GT.  Too much work to list here but some highlights are:

* Got the HS4 carbs installed but I'm pulling them of and going with the HIF4's because I don't like the crankcase venting setup I have now.
* Car modified for the 4-synchro gearbox from the roadster
* New DIY LED tail light assemblies are almost finished
* New modern sound system being installed
* reverse lights added to the car as well as headlight relays, an aux fuse panel under the passenger side dashboard for accessories
*  A coolant fluid recovery system has been added
* I did the Saturn 109-amp alternator conversion.
*  the LED daytime running lights in the airdam have been installed (see pics below)
*  I've torn out the interior and headliner and have recovered the seats and rebuilt the door panels.
*  New headliner and vinyl trim material have been purchased
All in all the car is about ready to fire up.  My work schedule is pretty busy this weekend so it should be running by next week.

The really bad news is that the rust on the driver side floorboards and sills is even worse than I thought.  This GT needs radical surgery to correct this but I am neither willing or financially ably to do that right now.
I'm going to stabilize the rust as best as possible and then fiberglass the hell out of everything.  It may only last 10 years but by then I'll either be able to afford a re-shelling or I'll be in the poor house :)

As far as the previous rust work done on the car all I can say is that the quality of repairs done was staggeringly shitty.  Galvanized metal roughly formed and riveted into place...sickening. (see bottom picture)

Add caption




















No comments:

Post a Comment