Thursday, February 24, 2011

ENTRY #2

After talking to the sell, I found out that the tires were at least 15 years old, possibly more. I wasn’t about to drive a 43-year old car home on major highways with old, dry-rotted tires. So I got on line and found 5 wire wheels with almost new Kumho tires for sale on the MG forum I frequent. Even better, they were in the Raleigh area.
So my LBC partner in crime drove out to south Raleigh and picked up the wheels and tires and then drove to north Raleigh to pick up the car.
Got the title transferred, put the new wheels and tires on the car and then set out on the 120 mile trip back home.
We kept to mostly non-highway routs just in care the car decided it wanted to explode or otherwise fail.
I got it home and started examining the GT more closely.


After driving a few hundred miles in the first week of 1967GT ownership I realized that even the slightly-better amenities in my 74 made a huge difference in the comfort level when using these cars as daily driver.
I want to make this car a bit more livable but without making any major changes to the car.
Since the floorboards need some-semi major attention, after repairing them I’m going to apply acoustic and thermal insulation to the floors, sills and rear deck before replacing the carpet,.
Driving the car when it was below 20-degrees outside also pointed out the need for attention to be paid to the heating system. Not many changes can be made there except for the home-made brass heater valve and maybe an uprated heater core. Adding in the replacement of door and window seals should make the interior fairly toasty in cold weather.
One other creature comfort I missed was a center console with an armrest like the one I had in my 74 B. I picked up one for free earlier this year. It was bleached out and chalky from sun exposure but it was free. I scrubbed and brushed it until he chalkiness was all gone but the faded look remained. So I simply painted it with gloss black paint and it turned out looking really nice. I then pulled the armrest off my good console since it was a home made armrest and put it on the newly-painted console after spraying it with red vinyl paint.
The install was straightforward though not made for the MK-I transmission tunnels.
I had to drill a few new holes for the shifter beauty ring but other than that it fits very well.
The radio console is in fairly good shape. Unfortunately the PO drilled into the side of it to install an ammeter so it is not perfect. The speaker grill and trim ring, however, are perfect so I’m gong to be very careful with those.
I could install two 4” speakers in place of the single speaker in there now but I think instead I’m just going to make a custom console so that I also have room for any additional switches, power outlets and anything else I can think of..
Seat heaters are going in but they will be the kind that sit on top of the seats, not the kind installed inside the seats like the carbon heaters going into the 74.
I’ll be doing this after I convert the car to negative ground and upgrade to a high output alternator instead of the generator currently installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment